Federal, State, and Local laws prohibit housing discrimination based on the categories listed below. The laws cover housing for rent or sale, advertising, lending, insurance, steering, redlining and hate crimes. Remedies for illegal discrimination include injunctive relief, monetary damages, and penalties. In California, virtually every unit of housing for rent or sale is covered under the fair housing laws.
|Race Color Sex National Origin Ancestry Mental Disability Physical Disability (HIV & AIDS included)||Familial Status (Children) Marital Status Age Sexual Orientation Source of Income Student Status Arbitrary Reasons|
- Investigations of housing discrimination complaints concerning housing for rent or sale, advertising, lending, insurance, steering, blockbusting and hate crimes
- Remedies for valid complaints, including conciliations, legal action and administrative referrals to state and federal fair housing agencies
- Multilingual counseling on fair housing and predatory lending issues
- Multilingual property owner, manager and realtor training sessions
- Educational seminars, workshops and presentations on fair housing
What to do:
- Report suspected discrimination immediately!
- Keep a record of any meetings and phone calls with the landlord, property manager, real estate agent, loan officer, or insurance agent. Include the person’s name, title (if you know it), the meeting place, date, and time.
- Make notes on what happened and what was said. Save all receipts, applications, business cards, or other documents received during your meeting(s), and any advertisements.
- Southern California Housing Rights Center – Los Angeles Office 3255 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 1150 Los Angeles 90012
- Southern California Housing Rights Center – Westside Area (The 2nd Tuesday of each month, from 10 to 12 p.m.) 1645 Corinth Ave., Room 104 Los Angeles 90025
- Housing Rights Center Services – English & Spanish (.pdf)
- Familial Status Discrimination (.pdf)
- Predatory Lending (.pdf)
- Housing Rights for People with Disabilities (.pdf)
- Landlords and Fair Housing (.pdf)
- Sexual Harassment (.pdf)
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination (.pdf)
- What is Fair Housing? (.pdf)